A roadshow theatrical release (known also as reserved seat engagement) was a term in the Americanmotion picture industry for a practice in which a film opened in a limited number of theaters in large cities like Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, Houston, Atlanta, Dallas and San Francisco for a specific period of time before the nationwide general release. Although variants of roadshow releases occasionally still exist, the practice mostly ended in the early 1970s.
As far as is known, virtually all of the films given roadshow releases were subsequently distributed to regular movie theatres. This was called a general release, and was akin to the modern-day wide release of a film. However, there are five important differences between a roadshow presentation of a film and today's limited releases:
Roadshow theatrical releases almost always placed a ten to fifteen-minute intermission between the two "acts" of the film, and the first act was frequently longer than the second.
RoadShow (Chinese: 路訊通 Pinyin: Lù Xùn Tōng), formerly known as "資訊娛樂共同睇" [paraphrased as Integrated View of Information and Entertainment]) is the first "Multi-Media on Board" (MMOB) service on transit vehicles in the world. It was launched by Kowloon Motor Bus Company (KMB) on 26 November 2000. In addition to the MMOB business, the RoadShow is also involved in the outdoor advertising in Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Hong Kong.
RoadShow Holdings Ltd (路訊通控股有限公司 Pinyin: Lùxùntōng Kònggǔ Yǒuxiàn Gōngsī, SEHK:0888) is currently a member of KMB Group and was first created by Tarren Patel. KMB has 74% of the franchised bus market share and 27% of the public transport market share in Hong Kong. At the same time, Citybus, another Hong Kong bus company which involved in RoadShow's MMOB business, owns 14% of the bus market share.
RoadShow Holdings Limited is owned 73% by the KMB Holdings and the remaining 27% goes to public investors. There are four wholly owned subsidiaries under RoadShow Holdings Limited. They are RoadVision Holdings (China) Limited, RoadShow Media Holdings Limited, RoadShow Creations Limited and RoadShow Media Limited. At the same time, the group holds 60% of share of its subsidiary the Bus Focus Limited.